This is YOUR College & Career Page!
Welcome! If you have ideas to add, or have questions and need help, this is the place for you!
We are dedicated to assisting you by helping your student achieve their dreams of a higher education. All of the options available to home schoolers after high school, can get overwhelming. Our College and Career department will help you and your student through the transition from home education to college and beyond. On this page you will find information about upcoming events, tips on scholarships and testing, frequently asked questions, and much more!
Private Schools of San Antonio College Fair
Thursday, October 25, 6:30pm to 8:30pm
St. Mary’s University Alumni Athletics & Convocation Center
One Camino Santa Maria, San Antonio, TX 78228
9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grade students and their families are invited.
With more than 150 college and university representatives attending the 2018 fair, you should pre-register at www.gotocollegefairs.com to easily share your contact information with the schools of your choice.
Attendee parking available in Lots D and T. Directions and campus map available online at www.stmarys.edu/map
Baptist University of the Americas
Not sure where to attend college? BUA Invites You to BUA DAY and hear from other students, professors, staff and the president on how BUA is educating the next generation of cross-cultural Christian leaders. Located at 7838 Barlite Blvd, San Antonio, TX 78247 (across South San High School).
Please use this link for more information and to register: http://www.bua.edu/en/bua-day/
Dallas Baptist University
Patriot Previews are designed to give interested students and families a taste of life on campus in order to help them decide if DBU is the right place for them! While here, students will receive a campus tour, have the opportunity to meet and interact with faculty and staff, join the DBU family for a time of praise and worship, and gather important information about admissions, financial aid and campus life. It is an all-inclusive day for prospective students and their parents to experience life at DBU.
If you know someone within your home school organization who is looking for a school that integrates faith and learning, develops servant leaders, and transforms lives, DBU may be the school for them! Follow this link to find out more information about and to register for the next Patriot Preview. http://whydbu.dbu.edu/patriot-preview/.
Contact Debbie Dooley, the Director of Home School Relations for undergraduate admissions at Dallas Baptist University and fellow homeschool Mom. Call 972-351-3286
Need help with transcripts? Find information about HERE!
Partnering with you to promote Christian higher education
The Christian Connector has launched a Christian College Scholarship Resource page on their website. Home school students can take advantage of this great free service which will allow students to search for different types of scholarships of interest offered at the participating Christian colleges. The schools included provided over $150 million in scholarships last year alone!
- Christianconnector.com is a free Christian Higher Education Resource Center
- Onetonline.org is a helpful resource for Career Exploration and Job Analysis
- http://www.accreditedschoolsonline.org Online Christian College Resources
- Take a look at this guide to affordable online college options: http://www.affordablecollegesonline.org/online-colleges/christian-colleges/
- Everychanceeverytexan a resource for Texas Scholarships!
- Learn more about the ASVAB – Career Exploration Program – offered free at FEAST
- SAT Info: Find out more information at their website: http://sat.collegeboard.com/home
- ACT Info: Find out more information at their website: http://www.actstudent.org/regist/dates.html
- Texas Colleges and Universities: http://www.window.state.tx.us/scholars/schools/
- What Will They Learn: A guide to what college rankings won’t tell you http://whatwilltheylearn.com/
- Search online for accredited schools and scholarships: http://www.college-universities.com/online.php
- Top Nursing Schools in Texas
FAQ’s about Home Schoolers and College
- How can I successfully teach my own children if I have not been trained? A vast variety of curricula options and resources are available, including curriculum that takes on a step-by-step instructional approach, curriculum types that require intensive parental preparation, DVD or computer-based programs that require parental supervision with very little preparation, and many other styles created to meet your needs as an educator.
- Will colleges accept my home school transcript and diploma? Yes. Some colleges and universities are friendlier toward home schoolers than others, so some will be easier to work with. In Texas, state colleges are required to accept a home school graduate’s diploma and transcript and to treat a home school graduate just as they would any other applicant. Home school graduates are accepted at most colleges and universities around the nation, and are even recruited by many.
- How does my graduate receive his diploma? When a student meets the requirements set by his school for graduation, he may receive a diploma.
- What is required for graduation from home school? Home schools in Texas are private schools for the purpose of compulsory attendance and are not regulated by the state. Therefore, home schools, just as other private schools, set their own graduation standards. There is no minimum age requirement for graduation.
- How do I provide a transcript for my high school graduate? There are several sources for transcript template kits and/or software that you can simply fill in based on your own grading records. These tools can help you determine what information needs to be included. You should sign your name at the bottom as the administrator of the school and date it. You might even want to get it notarized.
Texas Home School Honor Societies – http://www.etasigmaalpha.com/chapters/texas/
San Antonio Eta Sigma Alpha National Honor Society – Zeta Lambda Chapter – Jeanine Martin – email@example.com
SAT Test Preparation – Official SAT Prep on KhanAcademy.org
MIT OpenCourseWare – Get curriculum and watch lectures from many MIT courses